Monday, July 23, 2012

Maine

Last week we spent 4 days in Boothbay Harbor, Maine at the Spruce Point Inn. I went to Maine with a friend years ago and fell in love with it and had been dying to go back. My dad knew this and bought this trip last year at the Swan Ball Auction which I was so excited about! So my parents, Graham and I and Carrie went last Wednesday and stayed until Saturday. We left Hayes here with Mimi and Fran because for such a short trip, it is hard to uproot her, work around 2 naps and drag all her gear on an airplane. We missed her dearly, but it ended up working out so well. She had a blast here and we were able to be pretty flexible up there since C is almost 3.

We stayed in the Starboard Cottage there and our favorite part was the porch. The weather there was AMAZING...highs in the 70s and lows at night in the 50s. We actually wore fleeces, sweaters, sweatshirts etc in the nights and mornings and loved being outside ALL day enjoying the breeze. This was our beautiful view from our porch...
In the mornings, it was SO nice that we all really wanted to just read on the porch and have some coffee so we let that be Carrie's I-pad time. She was so busy all day long that it was actually the perfect low key start to the day! (For all of us!)
The Inn is so kid friendly. They have 2 pools, a playground, an indoor play area, all kinds of outdoor games and just lots of room to run around and explore. Here is Carrie 'climbing' a tree...
We also went to the beach one day. Their beaches are rockier, but made for some really good shell finding which Carrie loved!
The beatiful view of the water and the fishing boats from the beach.
Up on a big rock with daddy.
We also found a cool swing by the beach...appeared to be a bit of a death trap if you let go, but we knew C would hold on tight and she loved it (it did not actually go over the water so if she had fallen, it just would have been on rocks.. :/ )
We took the boat into town one day for lunch. The town is adorable. So charming and the shops and restaurants are all really neat. We decided to go back another day because we enjoyed it so much.
We didnt actually eat here, but C thought this was a fun thing. Not sure Graham agreed, but he was a good sport haha.
We also swam one day. I was worried it would be too cold, but the pool was heated so it was actually really nice.
But when you got out, it was cold so C enjoyed her first hot tub experience with the men!
Graham and I found a really great park nearby. It had the best playgrounds and C was totally overwhelmed and excited about this. It was nice to be able to stand out there at a park while she played without sweating the whole time and having to leave 30 minutes later to avoid a heat stroke!
My dad has a friend he knew in college who spends his summers up here. Dad hadn't seen him him in a long time, but they were so nice and invited us over and for a boat ride to lunch. They have young grandchildren back home so they were so sweet to Carrie and she had a blast at their house. She loved this swing!
They showed us around Boothbay in their boat for a while and then took us to a delicious lunch place. I had a lobster roll...we ate lobster a LOT! Yum.
We ate dinner at Spruce Point Inn every night. They have 2 restaurants, 1 more for families and 1 nice one so Wednesday and Friday nights we took Carrie and did the family one and we used the babysitter on property for the other night and went to a nice dinner. All the meals were great and C actually did pretty well sitting through a long adult dinner! It was nice that we could just walk her back when she was spent. Here are some pics before dinner...

This sunset was actually the night we got the babysitter. We took wine up to these Adirondack chairs overlooking the bay and got to see this amazing sunset. G laughs, but I am SUCH a sucker for a god sunset so I was in total heaven and sat out there as long as I could taking it in. It was so pretty! 
We fell in love with Boothbay Harbor. It is so casual and family friendly and an amazing break from the heat. We loved the weather, the food, the town and just everything about it. Graham and I will certainly be taking the girls back for a longer stay next summer. I was sad to leave when it was over, but I was definitely excited to see sweet Hayes. I missed my chunky bundle! I am so thankful she was well taken care of so we could enjoy our trip and get back to a happy girl.

Side note: I read Bloom on the trip...it is amazing. For any of you mothers out there who want a life changing read, read it. You will not regret it. I cried so many times...some sad tears, but many happy tears as well. It is worth your time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment