Monday, March 14, 2011

Ford Plantation, Part 1

So this week is Carrie's 'Spring Break'. I think that is so funny since she just goes to Mother's Day Out two times a week. I mean how much of a break does she need?? But Graham and I decided to really use it as her first Spring Break and take her down to my parent's house at Ford Plantation. We realized it is the first time we have taken a family trip just the 3 of us! We have traveled several times with Carebear so that seemed crazy to us, but it's the truth. We have been so looking forward to a week of relaxing in heavenly Ford and here we are!

We got here Friday night and after a long day in the car, we just got here and ate at home and crashed! We were excited Saturday to get to see some of our dear college friends! Christina and Nick live in Savannah (20 minutes north of Ford) and Drew and Louise happened to be visiting them this weekend so it worked out for us to see them all! It was so fun. The guys golfed while the girls (including Carrie of course) lunched and just chatted. It was so fun to see them and for Carrie to see them. Carrie was pretty good except maybe getting a little antsy at lunch :). After the guys golfed, we got to just sit out on the patio at Ford's clubhouse and catch up all together and enjoy the sunny, clear day...not to mention it was like 75 degrees! Towards the end of their visit, we got some more visitors! Papa (Graham's dad) and his girlfriend Stephanie ("Steppy" to Carrie) came down for a night to see us. It was great seeing them and we always get spoiled when extra hands are around to help with Carrie. She just loves the audience!

Papa let her run all over the putting green and play with the flags...
Then dad got the old convertible cranked up and took all his girls for a ride...
Carebear still will not crack a smile for a camera...so sassy.
She loves playing all over the golf cart and likes playing DJ with the CD player...
We took Papa and Steppy to see the goats because Carrie loves them. And they love her...and want to nibble her little fingers

Then we took them to the Marina in search of the kitty that lives there. Carrie loves all the kitties that live at Ford, but the feeling is not mutual. She runs at them saying "meow" and they just run...

At the marina, we tried to get some cute pics. The family one is not cute of me so I am nixing it, but I did get some cute ones of Carrie...

Next we took them to the Main House because the views are just incredible. Carrie led the way...
That night we went to dinner at Steamers and had some yummy seafood (everyone except Carrie that is...she is yet to try seafood). Papa and Steppy left Sunday and Carrie woke up from her nap looking for them. When she realized it was just mama and dada, we all decided to take a walk and stop by the playground which she of course loved. When we got back, we let her watch some Wiggles since she had had nonstop activity. It made me laugh because we forgot her chair from home so when they came on, she just climbed up on this big chair and watched from there...
This morning we got to go up to the Nature Center and see some of the cool animals they have there. Carrie got to see snakes and turtles and even got to pet a baby gator that was the same age as her! I thought that was pretty cool, but she just really liked the dogs outside the nature center, ha! Just like her mama, I tell ya!

Petting the gator. She actually just kinda hit him haha
On our way back, we saw some horses (or "Neighs" as Carrie calls them) and she loved that! She kept saying "I see Neigh" over and over.
After her nap, we took her up to the baby pool since it was 80 today. She has been taking swim lessons for 6 months now and man was she excited to get in that pool!!! She just LOVED IT!!! I didn't know if we would ever be able to get her to leave. Here she is playing with her ball...
And splashing...
And tripping while chasing her ball...
And OOPS! she went under! Graham was right beside her or I would have freaked out, but it was amazing to watch because she kicked and paddled and her head popped up! Graham grabbed her and she had this stunned look on her face and I expected tears and no more pool, but guess what?! NO TEARS! And she wanted to get right back in! It made me feel like all the lessons have already paid off! Not only did she get her own head above water, but she held her breath and it didn't even scare her! Such a cool moment for me.
They have all these cute colorful chairs around the baby pool and she was like Goldilocks picking one out. She had to try them all.
We think yellow was her favorite at the end.
So we finally got her to leave the pool and went back over to the main house. When I came out of the main house (I was hunting for the homemade cookies haha) I saw this...
Upon closer observation, I saw that it was a father/daughter moment in the chairs. Too cute.
And the father/daughter time continued...this was Graham running away from her and then turning around to chase her...she loved it.

Graham and I are so blessed to be able to spend a week down here. We were talking tonight about how much we are enjoying Carrie right now. While she does have more opinions, more sass, more meltdowns, she is also a ton of fun, such a little adventurer and so happy. She just lights up our days and we are having such a great "Spring Break." Hope we have just as much fun the next few days!

1 comment: