A friend of mine gave me Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution cookbook and I have loved it. He has an oatmeal section where he gives ways to spice up your average oatmeal. I took some of his ideas when making oatmeal the other day and it was really good.
The next one used to be something I made a lot, but hadn't in a while. I am glad I am back into them now because they are such a good healthy and filling start to the day. They are strawberry banana smoothies...
I put 6 fresh (not frozen...they dont blend well) strawberries in a blender along with 1 whole banana, 1 cup of the greek vanilla yogurt and 9 ice cubes (the half moon shaped ones). Then I have a handy little button on my blender that is called "crush ice" that I use for a minute and then I use the "liquify" button for the next minute or so. It makes the perfect smoothie.And finally, I tried some new muffins the other day that are amazing. Banana Muffins with Brown Sugar Topping...
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
½ teaspoons Salt
¼ teaspoons Allspice
¼ teaspoons Cinnamon
3 whole Bananas, Mashed
¾ cups Sugar
1 whole Egg
⅓ cups Melted Butter
FOR THE TOPPING:
⅓ cups Brown Sugar
2 Tablespoons Flour
⅛ teaspoons Cinnamon
1 Tablespoon Room Temperature Butter
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Coat muffin pans with nonstick spray, or use paper liners. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices; set aside.
2. Combine bananas, sugar, egg, and melted butter in a large bowl. Fold in the flour mixture, and mix until smooth. Gently stir in chocolate chips (if using). Scoop into muffin pans.
(Note: only mix until ingredients are combined. Too much mixing = disaster!)
3. Prepare the topping. In a bowl, mix together brown sugar, 2 tablespoons of flour and the additional cinnamon. Cut in 1 tablespoon butter into the brown sugar mixture. Sprinkle over the muffins.
4.Bake in preheated oven. Bake mini muffins for 10 to 15 minutes, and large muffins for 25 to 30 minutes. When done, muffins will spring back when lightly tapped.
(Really good warm with a little butter on them :) )Hope this gives you some new breakfast inspiration!
YUM!!! Those all look amazing! I definitely get sick of the same old thing so I will have to try these! I could use that smoothie right now :)
ReplyDelete