Monday, February 13, 2012

Word of the Week: Amoxicillon

Yep, it's been a week of sick kids! That's where I have been...not blogging, but caring for sickos. It started with Carrie, of course. Somewhere between Mother's Day Out, birthday parties, playdates and the likes, she caught a virus. I thought it may be her sinuses starting early because her nose ran only clear, she had no fever and she acted like she felt fine. It has been such a warm winter that allergy season seems to be starting early so I was not too worried about it. But after about 10 days of it, I decided we should check in with the doc. He said she probably had a sinus infection as a result of a virus. So she got on Amoxicillon. That was a week ago tomorrow. She was better in no time. But she never really acted sick to begin with so it was no big deal taking care of her. But right around when she was getting better, I noticed a little snorty sound when Hayes breathed. I was nervous she may be getting it, but was hoping not. Oh but she got it. And let me tell you, a sick baby is WAY worse than a sick toddler. With Hayes, it has been a nightmare. All of a sudden my super laid back and happy child was miserable...crying, stuffy, coughing, not eating, you name it. First symptoms were Tuesday or Wednesday, but it did not start getting bad until Friday and it got bad fast. She could not breathe enough to eat or sleep and it was the saddest thing. Oh and I was exhausted too! Hayes has loved to sleep and loved her crib from the get go so her not sleeping well was a shock to me. After a couple bad nights and a really bad sounding baby, we hit the doctor on Sunday. They said virus, maybe RSV ( I kind of don't think so since she had no fever and her lungs were clear ) and an ear infection. Yep, time for more Amixicillon. Luckily last night she seemed to turn a corner. They thought she had hit her peak and I think they were right. She slept really well last night (not perfectly, but only up once) and ate much better today. She was also so much happier and more like her old self today which was so good to see. I have missed her!! And I know she is glad to be able to breathe and hopefully her ear feels all better after a little meds. But it was a terrible weekend and we still are not 100% back. I am scared this has messed up the good thing we had going with her and we are going to need a few days or so to get her back on track. Hopefully she will get back to her schedule and easy going ways in no time...fingers crossed, anyways! She had me so spoiled. So my blog hiatus is explained here. Just trying to keep my head above water while getting my girls back to good health! Everyone always told me once you had more than 1 kid, they always got each other sick and I now know what they mean unfortunately! Just having Carrie she was hardly ever sick, but now it seems we will just be passing things back and forth. Yuck. But for the time being, I am thankful we are on the mend.

Here is my happy girl today feeling closer to her old self again...
And here she is playing a game of 'peek a boo' with her pink duck hanging on her playmat...
Praying for more and more progress and a return to normality!!

No comments:

Post a Comment