I am kind of learning to smock I think. A few months ago, the Smocking Fairy (Callen's mom) came to Nashville and did a smocking weekend with a few of us to show us the basics of smocking. My mother in law smocks so I never really felt like I needed to learn how to do it, but when this opportunity presented itself, I thought why not just see if I like it. And I did! Here is the
Smocking Fairy post...Callen's blog is private so some of you won't be able to see it, but it shows how much fun we had with Mrs. Casey learning all about smocking. She was SUCH a good teacher (well she is teacher so that makes sense!) and was very patient. She had cut all of us out a dress and pleated it and made us practice pieces to learn on so it was a great way to start. I got some done on the dress that weekend and then took the rest on our trip to Rolling Rock in August and finished the smocking part. I still haven't finished constructing the dress since it is a spring dress and I figured I needed to get her a Fall dress completed first. So here is the first project...incomplete, but not for long!...



And here is the fall dress I made her!


It was fun to make one from beginning to end all on my own. I learned a lot. It helps that I can ask Cyndi any and all questions. I also got a couple instructional books that helped a lot. And the acorns were the first picture smocking I had ever done so they definitely are not perfect, but I figured it was good enough. Same with the construction. Anyways, I plan to finish the light blue one soon and then start her one for spring with tulips on it! It is actually a fun pass time!
Ok well better go keep packing. We leave tomorrow for our 10 day holiday excursion...same as last year...5 days at Ford Plantation with my family and 5 days in Columbia, SC with Graham's family! I am really excited, just interested to see how sharing a room with Carrie goes!
Happy Thanksgiving!!!
her dress looks perfect to me! I'm impressed!! Have a great vacay!
ReplyDelete