Thursday, August 18, 2011

Make this...

Last month I cut a recipe out of Southern Living called "Herbed Tomato Tart." I had been dying to make it, but when I went over to our friends' the Campbell's house last week and she was serving a tomato tart as an appetizer that was SO good, it motivated me to try out my recipe! Well I tried it last night and we LOVED it. We just ate it with some corn, okra and lima beans and it was a perfect summer meal. I had seconds of the tart and Graham had thirds I believe. It takes a little effort, but not too much to discourage you!


Yum!!!
Herbed Tomato Tart:
  • medium tomatoes, thinly sliced (about 3/4 lb.)
  • 1/2 pt. assorted small tomatoes, halved (I left these off and just did 1 extra normal sized tomato)
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
  • 1 (17.3-oz.) package frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
  • 1 (8-oz.) package shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1 (4-oz.) package crumbled feta cheese
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped chives
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped assorted fresh herbs (I used fresh basil and thyme and then some dried oregano)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1. Preheat oven to 400º. Place tomatoes in a single layer on paper towels; sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. salt. Let stand 30 minutes. Pat dry with paper towels.
  • 2. Meanwhile, roll 1 pastry sheet into a 14-inch square on a lightly floured surface; place on an ungreased baking sheet. Cut 4 (12- x 1-inch) strips from remaining pastry sheet, and place strips along outer edges of pastry square, forming a border. Reserve remaining pastry for another use.
  • 3. Bake at 400º for 14 minutes or until browned.
  • 4. Sprinkle pastry with mozzarella cheese and next 3 ingredients. Top with tomatoes in a single layer. Sprinkle tomatoes with herbs and remaining 1/4 tsp. salt; drizzle with oil.
  • 5. Bake at 400º for 14 to 15 minutes or until cheese melts. Serve immediately.
I feel like I slacked on trying many new things this summer because I got lazy from the heat and, well, the baby in my belly. So before this baby gets here and I take a cooking sabbatical, my goal is to try a few more things I have found recently. Will let you know if I find anymore stand-outs. 

2 comments:

  1. This looks delish! I still need to get the recipe for the meat and shells pasta. You are my cooking inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!! Just saw your comment from the other week on my blog. Thanks for saying hi!! I've got your blog added to my list now so I can keep up. Yes all the clothes and nursery stuff....SO addicting. It's so fun though. I'm excited for you you're having another girl!! She and Carrie will always have each other. And nice that they will be close in age too. I'll be posting our "gender reveal" soon!!

    ReplyDelete