Monday, August 24, 2009

Randomness...

This post is kind of a collection of things I have been meaning to post about so excuse the randomness! First off, I know I am due for a bump picture. I am feeling less confident posting these after last weekend when a lady in the movie theatre asked if it was my last hurrah before the baby comes because I look like I am about to pop. I tried to nicely say no, I have 7 more weeks to which she impolitely replied "Not in that dress ya dont!" I think my mom may have thought it was the funniest thing she had ever heard. I, personally, was offended. It was the pink dress I wore to my shower which I posted pictures from below. That will certainly be the last you see of that dress! But here is my 33 weeks picture...not in the pink dress....


The second thing I have been meaning to post about are my latest book reads/movie viewings. As I have mentioned before, I do not see a movie that is also a book unless I read the book first. This is because the book is ALWAYS better and I know that if I see the movie first, I will not read the book. So first, I will start with...
The book was not one that I could not put down, but that is not to take away from how much I enjoyed it! It was a light and funny read and one that did not inspire me to take on cooking 524 recipes in 365 days. In fact, reading it at some points was almost painful because I could only imagine the stress I would have felt if faced with the same challenge. I admire Julie's determination. The book was 90% based on Julie and 10% on Julia which is where it differed from the movie. I felt like the movie was more like 50/50. Normally I am not a fan of straying from the book or the author's intentions in writing it, but for this movie, the change worked. Meryl Streep as Julia was too good to cut any shorter. However, you could totally see this movie and then read the book and feel as though you were getting 2 different stories. Julie's part in the movie was almost too short to fully appreciate what all she went through. I felt like her courage and determination amidst immense frustration, disappointment and stress was lost in the movie. But, overall, I enjoyed both of them and recommend them both, but, for a first, in no particular order...

The second book read/movie viewed, however, the order again matters. This book is...
This book I LOVED too much to 1) put down and 2) expect the movie to come close to doing justice. If you haven't read this book, you should. It was such a unique novel full of mystery and passion and I just sailed through all 550 pages of it. So on Saturday while Graham golfed, I took myself to see the movie. I am not one who goes to movies alone often, but I wanted to see this one so much that I felt it was necessary. And I am not going to say the movie totally let me down. It didn't. It is just how can a 2 hour movie do justice to a 550 page book...especially one where every page is so full of detail? So I do not not recommend this movie. I just think reading the book before seeing it is imperative to enjoying this movie. 

And no movie attached, I have to recommend just 1 more book...
My friend Tiffany highly recommended this book and said she read it in one sitting. It is a true story which I loved and it is definitely a quick read. I do not want to give away the story on this one...the back of the book hardly even lets on more than that it is about an ex-slave and a rich art gallery owner who formed an unexpected relationship through an incredible woman. That is really all I want you to know if you read it. I do not want to give away anymore of this story, but that it is one that will make you want to be a better person and that it will show you what it means to have real faith. Read it. You will not be disappointed.

So those are my random thoughts for the time being, but I hope to be posting some updated nursery pictures by no later than middle of next week. Currently it is wallpaper, rug and light fixture, but we are expecting drapes, rocker, crib and hopefully dresser and bookcase all within the next couple weeks so stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Would love to borrow the Same Kind of Different As Me later in the Fall! By the way...cute baby bump picture!!!

    ReplyDelete